My publisher's preferred format is to have the preface before the Table of
Contents, but the ToC should be paginated starting with 'i' (1 in Roman
numerals). Immediately before the ToC I have an ERT box with
\pagenumbering{roman}
\setcounter{page}{1}
but, the second page of the Preface is marked "II", the third page is marked
"i" and the second page of the ToC is marked "iv". How do I control this?
That is, how can I turn off all page numbering prior to the ToC and then
have that begin with "i" rather than "iii"?

  I've looked on the Tips & Tricks page for paragraph numbering and it seems
that \thispagestyle{empty} should work when placed after the title,
"Preface". But, it's not working for me.

  What have I missed?

Thanks,

Rich

--