On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:

> If your class supports \frontmatter et al., it would be easier to do
> <Preface>
>  \frontmatter
> <TOC>
> \mainmatter
> <Main Text>

Juergen,

  Aha! I didn't think of moving the frontmatter marker. Let me try that now
.... Well, that's different. Now the page after the title page is numbered
'2', and the preface continues with the pagination. Then the ToC is numbered
properly. I have \thispagestyle{empty} immediately after the word, Preface,
but the numbering is still there.

> Strange. Perhaps your class does some redefinition. Actually, it should
> work.  What pagestyle are you using generally?

  The document style is Springer-Verlag's 'svmono' built on top of 'book'.
Page style is 'default'.

Thanks,

Rich

--