Rich Shepard wrote:

> I have \thispagestyle{empty} immediately after the word, Preface,
> but the numbering is still there.

Do you have it in the heading's line? Try to set it in the next line
(standard paragraph). I'm not sure this changes anything, though.

>> Strange. Perhaps your class does some redefinition. Actually, it should
>> work.  What pagestyle are you using generally?
>
> The document style is Springer-Verlag's 'svmono' built on top of 'book'.
> Page style is 'default'.

If the above doesn't work: Can you type \pagestyle{empty} at the very
beginning of the document, and then \pagestyle{fancy} (or whatever you are
using) after the TOC?

HTH,
Jürgen.