Bo> 3. latex conversion: critical to the usability of lyx. I was
Bo> frustrated when I can not import a lyx-exported latex file that
Bo> has been slightly modified by my advisor. I am glad that it will
Bo> get better in 1.4.

Currently, with tex2lyx we are able to do an almost perfect LyX>tex>LyX
roundtrip. Doing tex>LyX>tex would be even better, but not possible in
all generality.

Bo> 5. feature request: A short cut editing tool like what in KDE
Bo> configuration? The ability to define shortcuts is the most useful
Bo> feature of lyx to me, but not all users know \bindkey.

Yes, this would be very useful and not too difficult.

Bo> 6. auto-configure (windows). I never used lyx-win but my friend
Bo> installed lyx on windows and got frustrated since he could not do
Bo> anything. I checked his installation and found that he needed to
Bo> set pathes to all tools. (acrobad reader, xdvi, gv etc)

I think this is going to improve with the official lyx/win support. We
are going to have more developers with access to windows, I think.

Bo> 7. latex syntax error: I know it is very difficult to achieve but
Bo> I still hope: for whatever user can input through GUI, there
Bo> should be no latex error. (I am referring to ams math stuff being
Bo> used in non-ams article.)

What ams stuff do you have in mind? I am going to commit a patch for
\underrightarrow and friends, BTW.

Bo> 8. file format: I also sometimes modify lyx file directly using
Bo> perl but lyx format is not very easy to handle. I would prefer a
Bo> XML like format.

This is in the works, but not for 1.4.0.

Bo> 10. I recently encounter a small problem: if I modify file
Bo> structure, I will sometimes have to remove table of content and
Bo> reinsert it to make lyx compile. (I can submit a bug if this is
Bo> not known).

An example would be nice. We know there are problems with this code,
but they are difficult to identify.

Bo> 11. auto-completion, auto-correction: not-so-useful features but
Bo> some people may like them. (I hate word when it change my i to I).

I tend to hate it too...

Bo> 12. I do not know if this is possible. When I edit slides with
Bo> lyx, I have to update pdf file a million times to see the output
Bo> layout. Is it possible to preview a single page or at least tell
Bo> me if my texts/figure exceed one page?

In 1.4.0, it will be possible to go back and forth between an xdvi
window and the corresponding LyX editing region.

Knowing whether there is an overflow should be possible, but needs
some work, as I explained elsewhere.

Bo> Finally, I would like to thank Lyx developers for their wonderful
Bo> work. I was once tempted to help but my thesis is taking all my
Bo> time. Currently, converting word people to lyx is all I can do for
Bo> lyx.

You are welcome. Converting people is already nice.

JMarc