Geoffrey Lloyd wrote:

Having also run out of ideas I created a new partition and installed lyx to F:\lyx
Aspell and GSVIEW still installed to C:\
Interestingly InstantPreview now works.

Yes! Very good to hear.

I uninstalled and reinstalled in the usual C:\Program Files\Lyx and it failed

I tried again at C:\Lyx and it worked fine once again. Is this a spaces in path problem (I am using Miktex 2.4.1704) ???

It seems so, I'll test it.
(I use a german Windows where the default path is C:\Programme\LyX)
But anyway, is the Instant preview the only problem when you installed to C:\Program Files\Lyx ?

many many thanks for your patience and regards
Uwe