Pavel Sanda skrev:
(or even hard code ~ as a dead key).

On some keyboard layouts ~ is a dead key by default (danish for instance).
My guess is that people, who wish to write greek, use such a keyboard layout (or changes to one).

I wonder why tilde is a dead key on danish keyboards, we don't have any chars in our alphabet that use a tilde accent. I guess someone once thought that tilde would only be used for languages, where it is an accent, and then defaulted it to dead? Then that someone thought wrong, or the one who chose ~ for homedir shortcut chose wrong :)
ã õ ñ

--
Mvh
Rune