On 12 Jun 2008, G. Milde wrote:

> This is not about conversion but display:
>
> * If you paste polytonic Greek text from e.g.
>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_diacritics, this should show up in
>   greek letters with diacritics at the correct place.
>
> * If you input latin letters and ASCII-chars for diacritics following the
>   convention of the "greek" language option of babel and set the language
>   to "greek", these will be converted to greek letters in the output
>   only.
>
>   This is the same level of support as for German, say where e.g. "a is
>   converted to รค in the output (but not in LyX).
>
>   It differs from the handling of math symbols where a set of known
>   symbol-commands like \alpha or \int are rendered as symbols in LyX.

[snip]

Yes, this was the conclusion I was coming to myself.

A bit of background to all this: my wife is Greek and needs to type
Greek occasionally; she is also a purist about accents etc. (Byzantine
enthusiast). She is not happy seeing non-Greek characters on screen.

After quite a lot of work I managed to get vim (gvim) to show Greek
characters on-screen and to print Greek via Latex, but she can't do it
without help from me because it requires a familiarity with Latex which
she doesn't have. I was hoping things might be simpler with Lyx but
seemingly not.

Thanks for the Thessalonica suggestion; it may be a viable alternative.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and sceptical articles)