The authors of aspell must be really parochial.  To them, "English"
means "American", Canadian is a distinct language, and British English just
does not exist.  There are dictionaries for languages with a smaller user
base than British English.

I am writing a family history in Australian English, for Australians.  I don't
mean "Strine."  Australian English is still closer to British than American.
I can have Australian or British dictionaries in other applications, but LyX
uses aspell.

Is there any way of getting around this, or do I do my spell-checking in a
text export?

Doug.