Further to this, I installed Version 1.6.1 from the tarball.  I can select
British English now.  I don't usually complain about a version earlier than
the current one, but this did seem to be an aspell problem.  Fauir enough
about there not being a separate dictionary for Australian.  British is close
enough.

Bewdy, mate!

Doug.