I'm thinking of using LyX to write the 2nd edition of a book. The 1st edition
was done with OpenOffice, but production was a nightmare because OO didn't
fit with the publisher's workflow. The publisher had the whole thing
retyped, which introduced countless errors and generally broke formatting--a
major concern in this book which contains lots of source code, mathematical
symbols, chemical reaction notation etc..

The publisher will accept LaTeX, which gives LyX a tremendous potential
advantage. Exporting from OO to tex does damage some of the formatting, but
it does preserve many essentials such as index tags. The resulting files
import into LyX, seem to work more or less with the publisher's cls file,
and it looks like I can repair the broken formatting with LyX.

I do have one question, though. The OO file used "text styles" to specify
the formatting of inline source code, names of GUI tools, and chapter
crossreferences. In LyX these show up as ERT, like the boldfaced bit here:
\textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
When I click on View DVI, these generate "Undefined control sequence"
errors.

I could, of course, use sed or awk to replace these with LyX markup that
would force the "correct" typeface (in this case, the typewriter family),
but I'd rather leave the markup unchanged, and have LyX or LaTeX figure out
what to do.

So my question is: how do I tell LyX or LaTeX that
\textstyleInlinecode{for i=0,n-1}
means to render
for i=0,n-1
with a specified typeface? or at least as "typewriter"?