On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 11:35:35 +0200
Wolfgang Engelmann <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de> wrote:

> I have a reference from a (JabRef created) bib-file which LyX (1.6.2)
> does not like. The begin of the bib file states that it is encoded in
> utf8. I can't see anything strange in the reference and in the bibtex
> output. How can I check this (and if possible the whole file) for
> coding errors? The current LyX version is using utf8, right?

You can set the document encoding in Document->Settings->Language. I
don't know about the default encoding, though.

I'm not sure if BibTeX files are allowed to have non-ASCII characters
in "normal" LaTeX (I'm completely LaTeX incompetent), but I know that
with XeTeX, you can have utf8 characters in you BibTeX file.

The brute force method to find out your document encoding is to type
some special characters in lyx, open the document with a text editor
that lets you choose the encoding and see in which encoding the
characters are displayed correcly (but I guess there is also a
non-braindamaged way).

Cheers,

Kosta