On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 12:25:49 +0200
Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit.
> Neither can deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only
> bibtex8 complains about such files, bibtex just passes it silently
> [which is bad]).

Well, I just tried adding some characters that definitely are
multi-byte (e.g. ค from the thai alphabet) to a test bibtex file. It
"worked" with XeTeX in the sense that no error was raised (at least I
didnt see any in the console log), and the character was replaced by
whitespace (just like when the character is not in the alphabet you're
using).

With "normal" LaTeX and default encoding, I get a T1 encoding error.
With utf8 encoding, I get a "unicode char not set up for use with
LaTeX" error.

To be honest, my LaTeX suck and I really don't know the internals. A
way to tell XeLaTeX to use a different font for non-latin characters in
the bibliography would be great. Currently, allowing but not displaying
characters is pretty useless (except for those chars that are in the
font, which seems to be the case e.g. for european special chars but
not for e.g. asian fonts)

HTH,

Kosta