Kosta Welke wrote:
> > Which, however, will make bibtex (the program) fail (at least) on
> > sorting. Or does XeTeX ship its own bibtex variant?
>
> Sorry, I'm completely ignorant of the details. I just know that adding
> weird swedish special characters to my bibtex file "just worked" in a
> XeTeX LyX document. So I guess it probably ships its own bibtex...

The fact that it "just works" (for you) doesn't mean that it "works". Bib
files in utf8 also happen to work with traditional LaTeX. You do not
necessarily see the problems, but eventually, it just might fail miserably.

Bibtex can only handle 7-bit correctly. Bibtex8 handles 8-bit. Neither can
deal with multibyte characters (although apparently only bibtex8 complains
about such files, bibtex just passes it silently  [which is bad]).

To my best knowledge, XeTeX relies on traditional bibtex (or bibtex8) as well,
so unless you prove me wrong, I'm gonna re-edit the wiki.

Jürgen