It would appear that on Aug 12, BH did say:

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Vincent van
> Ravesteijn<v.f.vanraveste...@tudelft.nl> wrote:
> >
> > Magically, the dropdownbox is also shown when the toolbar is hidden (after
> > Alt-P <space>)
>
> From what I can tell, this is true only if the standard toolbar has
> been visible in the relevant window at some time in the past -- at
> least on Mac. If as I do (and Joe apparently does) you set your ui
> file not to load the standard toolbar, then Alt-P<space> does nothing.
> But once you make the toolbar visible and then invisible, Alt-P<space>
> does its magic.

Yup I used the .ui file to dump the undesirable toolbars...

But I'm curious, How else can I get rid of them? I wouldn't have
discovered the existence of the .ui files if I could have found a
pulldown menu choice to deactivate them...

Wait, let me guess, perhaps there is some mouse centric technique to
temporarily hide them if you know just where/how to click/drag them?