Hi Steve,

I'm not Petr but I'll try to answer some of your questions.  I'm sure others
will disagree but I should be somewhere in the right area

First of all think of the entire area of citations, references, etc, as being
something like the academic equivalent of an audit trail.  Academic
writers,policy developers and Uncle Tom Cobbly should provide a link between
statements and sources in order that other researchers/readers can check the
facts and decide if they agree or disagree with the slant that the author has
taken.

It is surprisingly easy for two readers to take diametrically opposed views of
an article and if the reader does not know where the information came from,
they are unable to evaluate the worth of the argument that the current author
is making.
In some cases if you carefully read a paper one can become suspicious that the
current author may not have even read it just done a literature search,
considered that the title sounded sexy and tossed in into the article.

If you have the time have a look at www.vehicularcyclist.com/casm.doc .  My
apologies, it was written before I knew about Lyx.

Conversely, if the author does not reference a fact or argument then the reader
is free (obliged?) to consider it dubious or even invented.

I am currently reading a  book where the author,blythely states that
kindergarten in North America has changed drastically in the last 30 years. He
seems to expect his readers to believe him.  It may have but I know nothing
about kindergarten and see no particular reason to believe him. He provides
absolutely no evidence that I can evaluate.

When you are in a policy argument that can lead to laws being passed or new
medical drugs being approved one wants the decision trail as clear as possible
and proper citing is key here.
>What's the difference between citations, references and bibliographies?

A citation is the 'flag' in the text so, for example ,if I say that "Food
additives show this increase (McCann et al. 2007) " you, the reader, can go to
the reference list,fi nd the entry for McCann and fellow authors in 2007, read
it and decide if the author really understood what McCann et al. were saying
and whether or not you agree with them.

The reference is a listing that allows you to find the article/book/website,
etc that has the information.

An example might be something like this:
McCann, D.; Barrett, A.; Cooper, A.; Crumpler, D.; Dalen, L.; Grimshaw, K.;
Kitchin, E.; Lok, K.; Porteous, L.; Prince, E.; Sonuga-Barke, E.; Warner, J. O.
& Stevenson, J. Food additives and hyperactive behaviour in 3-year-old and
8/9-year-old children in the community: a randomised, double-blinded,
placebo-controlled trial. Lancet,  2007, 370, 1560-1567.

This allows you to track down the paper.

I don't work with bibliographies but as I understand it they are reference
lists plus.  A reference list only contains the references cited in the text.
Bibliographies, I believe, do this and may add other relevant reading materials
not directly discussed in the article/book but which may be useful or
interesting to the reader

Assuming citations are individual elements of bibliographies, could you
pleaseexplain why  Zotero makes adding and maintaining them easier than doing
it with bibtex or whatever is normally used in LyX?

It is not so much that Zotero makes it easier to add them to LyX but that
Zotero makes it much easier to capture a number of  different kinds of
references directly from the internet which then can be used directly in a
paper and then find the blasted things.  JabRef for example will get article
references from several places (e.g. PubMed) but I still end up cutting and
pasting book entries from many library catalogues whereas Zotero currently
won't get the articles but will grab references from many libraries, the New
York Times, and other places.

Currently Bibtex and Zotero complement each other nicely and it is usually easy
to import from bibtex to Zotero.  The other way around does not work very well.
 See the thread Zotero to BibTex to Lyx I started yesterday.

It is extremely frustrating to know that you have read a paper about X, maybe
3-5 years ago, suddenly realise that it is important to your work and not be
able to find it.  Zotero seems to be able to help here.

Zotoro also has provisions for adding notes (comments etc) tags (say for
thematic analysis), allows one to group data (something like JabRef  groups )

Altogether Zotero had the potential to make work much easier. It would not be
unusual for a writer/researcher to have a reference list of several thousand
entries.  I believe some  groups ( large research groups, law offices,
government depts) have professional librarians to help with this but most
writers do not.

Something that Zotero does as does BibTex is automatically format the
citations, references/bibliography entries in the accepted format for the
journal/book/ audience for whom you are writing.  There are literally thousands
of different formats out there and while some may be trivially different some
are very, very different, say Chicago Manual of Style vs legal referencing.
First of all one wants to be able to reference in the appropriate style for the
audience and then, one also wants to be able to easily convert from one style
to another if one is using the same set of references in more than one article
in different areas.

For example one might want to publish in a psychological journal for part of
the research and in a medical journal for another part.  The citation and
referencing styles BibTex or Zotero to manage the styles a change takes perhaps
10-15 seconds. Done manually this could take hours or days, with much
consulting of style manuals and heavy cursing.

I hope this is of some help.