I have created a sample document with math included and tgpagella
doesn't render math environments. At the end, I had to use:

\usepackage{mathpazo,tgpagella}

In order to have have mathpazo characters in math environments.
Tgpagella seems to be narrower, but not by much. It saves some space
but this is far from dramatic.
Julio Rojas
jcredbe...@gmail.com