Hello Rob

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:31:06 -0600
Rob Oakes <lyx-de...@oak-tree.us> wrote:
> The letter forms of Palatino may be the most refined ever created.
> But, I've never really been able to find a sans-serif and mono-spaced
> font that matches well.  (At least not per my aesthetic taste.)  For
> that reason, I don't use it often.  A good designer friend says that
> Univers (or if you really need to go there, Helvetica) are
> appropriate pairings.  I think he consumed too many magic mushrooms
> in his youth. (I actually agree with the Univers pairing.  It offers
> good typographical contrast and the final effect really is quite
> nice, just not for really long texts.)

I'm very curious, have you tried to pair Palatino with Optima?
To me it looks as if they were designed with the same eye (literary
true, since they were both created by Hermann Zapf). In my documents I
use
\usepackage{tgpagella}
\renewcommand*\sfdefault{uop}

and while Optima is not installed by default,
it's easy to get it into TeXLive 07 [1]. I never liked Palatino
with Helvetica, but I'll experiment with Univers.

As for the Sweave
(monospace) part, I change the default in "verbatim" to
"fontfamily=courier", which tends to be a shade of grey and thus to set
apart the code from the rest of the text (at least the way I
perceive it).

Should you have an opinion on the Palatino and Optima combination,
please let us know.
Liviu

PS To continue the non-essential rant department, I also include package
microtype in my preamble, although I am not yet sure what's its net
impact on my documents.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg77584.html