On Aug 20, 2010, at 7:33 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:

> Sure. But you lose one of the most important features of TeXLive: immediate
> update to the most recent packages from CTAN.

I think it really depends on your needs.  The question for the user becomes,
how often do you really need to update your LaTeX distribution? Given its
maturity and the high quality of the original packages, I've found the answer
is: not very often (at least for me).

For example, I just recently updated to TexLive 2009 on my main Ubuntu
workstation.  For years, only TeXLive 2007 was available as part of the package
repositories, so I used it.  In all that time, there was only one time that I
needed a newer copy of a package and couldn't find a workaround.  Sure TeXLive
included a  bunch of benefits, but I'd be pretty hard-pressed to name one that
I take advantage of frequently.  In fact, without referring to the change-log,
I'd be pretty hard pressed to name any at all (updated Tufte classes that
correctly number margin figures might be one).

For this reason, up to the second versions of LaTeX packages aren't really all
that important to me.  If the releases were packaged once per year, I think
that's more than enough for my needs (and I would argue for the needs of most
other users).  But the three years that it took to update TeXLive 2007 to
TexLive 2009 was probably too long.  Though I didn't notice any practical need,
there was a psychological need.  It's important to feel like your software is
maintained, and going such a long time between updates made TeXLive on Debian
feel abandoned.

(As a caveat, I'd like the ability to download needed packages on the fly (like
MikTeX allows), but I am willing to forego that particular nicety for the
convenience of a single packaging tool.)

So, though i largely agree with your recommendation, I would attach on
addendum.  For novice LaTeX/LyX users, I would recommend staying with the
default packages.  For more advanced users that are comfortable with managing
their own LaTeX installations, going upstream makes a lot of sense.

As someone earlier in this thread said, I wonder if it would be worth packaging
a version of LyX for this particular demographic.  I wouldn't make it the
default, but we could easily set up a PPA (in addition to Red Hat/Open SuSe
equivalents) and post installation instructions somewhere on the website.  If
an advanced user is willing to set up a custom LaTeX distribution, surely they
are motivated enough to seek out LyX options that don't require system packages?

Just my two cents, though.

Cheers,

Rob