On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:53:32PM +0200, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> > > manager when texlive 2009 is installed from the ubuntu repository.
> >
> > That's very strange. Why would they block this?
>
> The argument, AFAIU, is that the distributors do not want yet another package
> managment (i.e., tlmgr), but let their own package managers (apt, zypper,
> etc.) handle everything. In a way, the TeXLive package managment and the
> distributor's package management contradict.

The Problem is that you often end up with a mess because some third party
installers/package manager overwrite files of your distribution packages.
And a few weeks later a new update for your distribution arrives and
replaces some of the newer files with another older but patched set.

If you choose a sane path for the installation and adjust your enviroment
variables accordingly I'm pretty sure that you can create a working
enviroment with tlmgr. If my memory serves me right I even set it up once
to check some bugreports.

As rude as it may sound, I think people who want it that way and
know what todo don't need to ask here. If you've to ask here don't do it.
If you'd like to try it anyway: VirtualBox or Xen/KVM with LVM+snapshots
give you a way to try it out outside of your main system with easy rollback
mechanism.

For the Debian part of the discussion:
There is always equivs which let you create empty dummy packages which
provide the needed packages you try to replace.
I'm not recommending this and you should understand what you're doing.

Sven
--
If you won’t forgive me the rest of my life
Let me apologize while I’m still alive