On 08/19/2010 04:24 AM, Ignacio García wrote:

> I wanted to provide a bit of an update to my adventures with Ubuntu packaging
> (insofar as they are related to LyX).
> I've spoken with the Ubuntu developers, and they have granted our request to
> include 1.6.7 in the next version of Ubuntu (Maverick Meerkat, 10.10).
> Packages have been compiled and are available from Launchpad as of this
> moment (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx).
> For users of Lucid Lynx (10.04) who would like to upgrade, I have created a
> PPA that you can use
> (https://launchpad.net/~lyx-outline-devel/+archive/lyx-stable).

Does this new LyX package depend on the the TexLive in Ubuntu's
repositories? Ubuntu's version of TexLive was out-of-date for a long
time, so I installed TexLive 2009 directly from its net installer, to
use its latex package manager. As a result I've had to install any latex
related programs (LyX, kile, etc) from source to prevent apt from
installing its own version of TexLive.

I don't particularly mind having to manage latex related programs
manually, but it would be nice if apt could manage LyX without forcing
me to use Ubuntu's TexLive.