On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Graham Smith <myotis...@gmail.com> wrote:
> One possible approach is to write an introduction to Lyx specifically aimed
> at Word users.
>
> This has been done for R at
> http://chartsgraphs.wordpress.com/learnr-toolkit/ where the tutorials assume
> familiarity with Excel and demonstrate how things differ (or are the same)
> in R. There have also been similar things done for the GIS program Manifold,
> comparing it against the Industry standard products from ESRI.
>
> I had a couple of aborted attempts with Lyx, because, as a Word User, I just
> couldn't get my head around certain concepts (the concept of compiling a
> document probably being the main one). I then eventually came back to Lyx
> via SWeave in R, which introduced me to Latex, and then Lyx fell into place
> and I realised it gave me an easy interface to Latex for every day
> documents.
>
> A Lyx equivilant of the R tutorials would have been a great help.

I completely agree and this would be a very usefull document - but the
issue is not to provide an easy transition from Word to LyX, but to
enable an easy co-operation with Word or OO / LibreOffice users, in
the sense that:

Main Document in LyX -> export to doc / odt (including comments and
track changes) -> comment from Word users in document -> import into
LyX -> editiong in LyX -> export to doc / odt (including comments and
track changes) -> ... -> Finl editing in LyX

So the Word user would not be confronted with LyX.

But I think that this should be a separate topic.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
NEW GERMAN FAX NUMBER!!!