On Jan 18, 2013, at 6:15 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:17:28 -0700, Jerry said:
>>
>> On Jan 17, 2013, at 2:30 AM, Alex Fernandez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jerry,
>>>
>>> I am the primary author of eLyXer.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:49 AM, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:
>>> Thanks for that tip. I checked it out. It's just a Python thing so
>>> it works fine on OS X, and LyX picked it up as advertised.
>>>
>>> Yes, I can confirm that OS X is fully supported.
>>>
>>> The output on my simple test case does look nice in a browser, but
>>> I get the same error opening with Word as I first described: "The
>>> XML file bla bla bla cannot be opened..." etc. I thought maybe my
>>> copy of Word was broken but it reads other HTML files fine--I'm
>>> guessing they don't have the XML stuff in them, however.
>>>
>>> Word does not like XHTML very much; you need to export to HTML 4,
>>> using the --html option.
>>> http://elyxer.nongnu.org/userguide.html#sub:HTML-Code If you are
>>> doing the conversion inside LyX, instead of on the command line,
>>> you have to add the --html in the conversion interface. I checked
>>> the HTML file that eLyXer made with the W3C page and got: "The
>>> uploaded document "-" was successfully checked as XHTML 1.0
>>> Transitional."
>>>
>>> Yes, eLyXer outputs pure XHTML.
>>>
>>> Also--eLyXer does not appear to use MathML so I don't think there
>>> is any hope of getting editable math into Word using this method.
>>> (But I haven't read all of the eLyXer docs.)
>>>
>>> eLyXer has several options for Math output:
>>>  http://elyxer.nongnu.org/userguide.html#sub:Math
>>> Sadly, none of them is MathML, since at the time eLyXer was
>>> conceived it was not very widely supported, and I have not found
>>> the time to add it.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Alex Fernández.
>>>
>> Hi, Alex,
>>
>> Thanks for the comments and for the great tool. It does what it
>> claims to to, convert LyX to HTML, with lots of math options. The
>> default conversion looks great in a browser.
>>
>> I tried your --html suggestion and indeed Word opens it, and displays
>> it much as a browser does. Unfortunately, the HTML limitations are
>> apparent; this is probably as good as a HTML-only conversion can get.
>>
>> In my slow-witted way, I'm starting to understand why Word will not
>> open the various XML formats that I'm throwing at it. (I also played
>> with TeXht today (and the Mac GUI over it, SimpleTeXht. This method
>> also makes XML in some variations, and .odt.) So Word isn't
>> broken—it's just not made to recognize this particular kind of XML.
>> (I want to use the word "schema" but don't really know what I'm
>> talking about.) So What is missing, as has been stated in previous
>> threads, is a converter from the XML that we're seeing to .docx, it
>> seems.
>>
>> Jerry
>
> Hi Jerry,
>
> Did you ever consider trying to open the LyXML or whatever it's called
> [...]

I also found xhtml2odt at http://xhtml2odt.org/ but I can't get it to work for
some reason. Also, the docs say that it will not convert graphics--these must
be imported and linked in LibreOffice manually.

In any case, it looks like any path through (X)HTML is going to convert any
vector graphics to something else, probably png, which is not a good service to
e.g. PDFs.

Jerry