On 4/02/2013 9:36 a.m., Liviu Andronic wrote:
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Jacob Bishop <bishop.ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
This has been discussed on the list before. The best answer I have seen (in
my humble opinion) is to use branches. This (quizzes/mult. choice questions)

My crack at multiple-choice questions in LyX (not sure if it was an
adaptation of some other document on-line) is attached. It uses the
article class, customizable lists module and branches. Feel free to
re-use it.

I am looking forward though to some usable LyX layout to 'exam' class
or similar. Most of all I'd like to be able to generate 2-3 versions
of the same multiple-choice exam with randomized questions and
answers. Does anyone know how to do this?

Regards,
Liviu

Riding my particular hobby horses, generating a randomized selection looks like a candidate for a python script after the fashion envisaged in the pLyX system (http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Examples).

Alternatively, there are random number macros and if-then tests in the LaTeX fp package (especially fp-basic.sty, fp-random.sty), although the documentation is minimal. These macros underlie similar macros, with good documentation, in the spreadtab package. (http://wiki.lyx.org/Layouts/Modules points to a LyX module for using spreadtab with LyX.)

Either method (I suspect you had thought of them already, and neither appealed) would involve quite a bit of initial work, although once done, would be easily adapted from one multiple-choice questionaire to another.

Andrew