Hi all,

On one of my writers' mailing list, after I said I used LyX, a guy who
really does have what once was a best-seller wrote this:

=======================================
"As for Lyx, you need to know that, with very few exceptions — none of
which immediately come to mind — open source programs have great appeal
for people who want to tinker with computers but almost none for those
who actually want to do something. Such apps tend to have butt ugly
interfaces and stupid names like Lyx and Snort and Gimp and Phlegm.
Last I saw, Lyx wasn't even WYSIWYG, for crying out loud. Forewarned is
forewarned. Or something like that."
=======================================

I already wrote back mocking his position and pointing out that if Open
Source got his undies that tight in a bundle, maybe there's something
interesting there, maybe everyone should try LyX, after all, it's free,
and gave the www.lyx.org URL.

But I can tell you this guy is going to come back and say he's a great
and mighty best selling author, ask how many books have I sold. While
books provide a part of my income, I have no best sellers, either now
or in the past.

So, when he comes back and asks that, it would be *wonderful* to give
the writer's list one or more best seller books (I think something with
an Amazon rank of less than 5000 would do it), to refute his statement,
by counterexample.

I'll say one more thing. A lot of writers seem to be proud of their
technophobia, and say mean and stupid stuff about LyX and other Open
Source. On their behalf, please allow *this* writer to apologize.

And as always, keep up the good work producing a great book writing
software (and perhaps now a web authoring software).

Thanks,

SteveT