> Of course, the documentation is there to show what is possible with
> footmisc, even if it is not recommended. There are other footnote
> packages on CTAN, you could try whether any of them supports the style
> you want to achieve. With a *minimal* LaTeX example that gives the
> desired output, the LyX gurus on this list will certainly help you
> implementing this in LyX.
>
> G√ľnter

Thanks for your remarks. I'll look into the latex commands to tweak
this and see if there is anything possible. The solution
suggested by Stefano provides a good starting point. The documentation
on this seems slim, though, despite it being what would appear
to be a fairly common occurrence (footnotes in titles).
Sebastien