> So you just can't treat them as a tty, dump some text to the printer and
> have it print.

Actually most of the thermal doodads take ESCPOS which prints ascii serial.

You can literally spit text ascii text to it and it prints, if you want to
do fancy things, well then you can send ESCPOS commands to format bold and
even upload custom fonts and print bitmaps, using this code.

https://github.com/petrkutalek/png2pos
https://github.com/twg/png2escpos

I've been messing around with a ZJ-85 connected to USB on a WebDT 166
running LEDE/OpenWRT Reboot, but I'm literally just echo "hell world" >
/dev/usb/lp0

I've also tested against a Bixolon SRP-275.

ESCPOS is (duh) for POS units and is very forgiving.

 - Lee
 - 909.437.0250
 - Destroying technology problems.