Hi Mike,

Actually, adding graphics would have to be done via some method other than PSET / PRESET. These ROM functions work directly with the LCD drivers and don't even go through RST hooks to intercept. So they can ONLY output to the internal LCD. Adding any type of graphics to a modern DVI solution would involve creating a whole new API / function call interface.

My original idea for adding graphics to TDock was to add the capability to AsciiPixels.

Ken

On 2/14/18 8:24 AM, Mike Stein wrote:
Now, now, Jan, no need to get snippy ;-)
Although I'm pretty sure that the answer is as Brian posted, I did (and still do) want to do some testing on a real DVI as you asked instead of making an assumption; I thought about the same thing quite a few years ago and did some investigating, even disassembling parts of the Disk BASIC overlay, but unfortunately can't find my notes from that time. Unfortunately I didn't realize that this was an urgent issue requiring immediate action and thought it could wait until I could find some time to dig the DVI out of storage, find a monitor, hook up an LA, etc. etc. Sorry you couldn't wait; that's the trouble with asking hobbyists to do something for you... I understand that you want a solution that connects through the system bus and emulates DVI video exactly; I just wanted to display the M100's screen across the room on a 40" TV while comfortably reposing an the couch playing games, so I chose the easy way using the serial port. I thought maybe this would be interesting while waiting for Ken's complete solution (especially since using the com port allows a wireless Bluetooth connection), but apparently not, so I was curious what you and others wanted to do that this didn't satisfy. As John pointed out it does tie up the serial port, but it seems that you might also be able to use the same connection with TS-DOS or similar. BTW, there's also an article in Portable100 about using the parallel port, but although I happen to have the exact obsolete hardware used it looked a lot more complicated and limiting. I'm not sure where you're getting '40 x 16' video as in your other post; AFAIR it's either the normal 8 x 40 or 24/25 x 80. One other thing: the DVI is text only; if you're going to the trouble (as Ken probably will) then you might want to also add graphics (even if only the PSET etc. functions) and maybe even colour, which will obviously complicate the situation somewhat.

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* VANDEN BOSSCHE JAN <mailto:jan.vandenboss...@vivaqua.be>
    *To:* m...@bitchin100.com <mailto:m...@bitchin100.com>
    *Sent:* Wednesday, February 14, 2018 8:33 AM
    *Subject:* Re: [M100] List of wanna haves

    What's so interesting abou an external screen ? I can hook up a
    HDMI 24" screen to my modern laptop, but you don't see me hauling
    one around. It is just another thing that makes working on you
    computers a bit more comfortable when you're not on the move. You
    only use your Model T when you travel ?

    The DVI is the old-school equivalent of a docking station or a
    port-replicator. Why would it be useless to re-create that with
    modern technology, certainly now that 'its so cheap?

    Anyway, forget it, forget I asked. I have gotten the impression
    that by asking something that doesn't sound useful for the
    technical guys, I have irritated those people.

    Sorry guys, I won't do it again. Just drop it.

    Greetings from the TyRannoSaurus / Jan-80@work