Tom,

You shouldn't need to replace your usb/serial adapter. I know that there is the
odd ball case out there but the VAST majority of these converters just create a
9pin male serial port that matches the standard port found on an IBM-AT from
the mid 80's.

Here is a thought. Take a picture of your setup and send it. Keep in mind that
emails to the list need to be less than 64k so the picture will need to be
small.

Kurt