Thank you, thank you Dan, I can use this.

Two examples as to why the sales but not usage.   

In the office there is a guy that I have given several Mac computers to, his 
wife needed help in her schooling and I began giving them machines years ago.  
They have had six or eight, the kids went through all their school with Mac's 
(home schooled), then his wife finished her schooling and began transcription 
work.  She then had to go to a Windows machine.  Unbelievable, in the shop 5 
times in the first year and got so bad I referred them to Jeff Slyn on our list 
who helped them get the thing running.  With all the experience they have had 
with Mac's (by the way, not a single Mac, EVER had to have work done on it and 
some were more than 10 years old) why would they go to any other company for a 
phone?

Now it's time to get a smart phone.  The kids who are now out on their own got 
iPhones but mom & dad got an Android.  Why?  Buy one, get one free.  He added 
by two the number of Android users but he can't even do text, I had to show him 
how and he would never go online.  By the way, the thing had problems from day 
one and he had to get another.  

Second case, this week I was in Radio Shack getting a battery for the alarm and 
there was a girl there in her mid to late 20's.  She had a new Android that 
already was not working and they were going to trade her out for 
another.......and she told the guy...."I don't want an iPhone", with disgust in 
her voice.  Now she may burn up the internet when the Android is 
working.....but I doubt it, it was obvious.

Lots of units are going out the door due to price but so many of these folks 
haven't a clue about using their device for anything other than voice, text, 
and playing their games.   The numbers seem to be bearing this out.  

John


On Apr 20, 2013, at 10:20 AM, Dan Crutcher wrote:

> I know this phenomenon has been noted elsewhere, but I still find it 
> remarkable and puzzling:
> 
> According to the latest stats I can find on U.S. smartphone ownership, 38% 
> have iPhones, 52% have Android devices and 10% have other types. In tablets, 
> iPad has 54%, Android devices 43% and 3% are other.
> 
> Presuming that there are many more smartphones than tablets, it's obvious 
> that Android has a greater share of the mobile OS market than Apple (profits, 
> of course, are an entirely different matter). Yet when I look at the Google 
> Analytic statistics for Louisville.com, I see that in the month of March we 
> had 34,858 visits from iOS users, 12,638 from Android users and 741 visits 
> from other mobile OS's.
> 
> In percentages, that's 72% iOS, 26% Android and 2% other.
> 
> So why, if there are more internet-capable Android devices than iOS devices, 
> do iOS users outnumber Android visitors on our site by almost 3 to 1? Is it 
> that iOS devices give users a better Internet experience or is that iOS users 
> are more Internet-centric and savvy or …. what?
> 
> Any ideas? 
> 
> And, by the way, let me note that for the first time since I've been tracking 
> Louisville.com statistics — going back to the late '90s — there were more 
> non-Windows-OS visitors to the site than Windows in a one-month period 
> (March), with a 51% to 49% margin for non-Windows devices. To compare over 
> time, in 2007 94% of our visitors used Windows OS. What a remarkable 
> turnaround in just five or so years.
> 
> Macintosh OS (11%) and iOS (26%) represented 37% of our March visitors, 
> compared to Windows' 49%. Unless Microsoft can make some significant inroads 
> into Windows smartphones and tablets in the next few years, it looks like 
> Apple's combined OS's will overtake Microsoft's in internet-access usage 
> within a couple of years.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> MacGroup mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup




_______________________________________________
MacGroup mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.math.louisville.edu/mailman/listinfo/macgroup

Reply via email to