Robert Nelson's instructions don't show creating a FAT partition, just an
A2  partition and an EXT4 partition. If I am reading his instructions
correctly he is writing u-boot-with-spl.sfp in the A2 partition then
creating ext4 file system in the 2nd partition. Then he makes creates the
rootfs in that ext4 partition. The "boot" directory is in the "rootfs"
directory with a dtbs directory,  an extlinux directory and the kernel
image in the boot directory. I am not seeing any boot activity so I think I
must be doing something wrong.

I know the board still works because I can still boot the DE10 image where
I replaced the angstrom filesystem with Debian Stretch.