I did this for years by manually mounting the remote volume, running the
initial backup, and then dismounting.  Turn out that Time Machine is smart
enough to mount the remote volume by itself after that.

However, I ran into this pernicious bug where the machine hosting the drive
would begin losing the count of network detachments from file sharing, while
keeping scrupulous count of the network attachments.  After a while, it would
decide that more than 10 users were simultaneously filesharing from it, and
refuse to allow any more.  I would have to turn off File Sharing on that
machine for 30 seconds to flush the counter, then turn it back on.  It got to
the point where I was doing this every day or two, and the bug survived several
major OSes.  So I took the plunge and ordered the Server version of the OS.
(That was back in Snow Leopard — now the Server is more of an additional
application package you install on the standard OS.)

The bad news is that this reduced the problem, but didn’t eliminate it, at
least in Snow Leopard.  The better news is that since Mountain Lion or so, I
haven’t seen that particular problem. Since then, I’ve found other value to
running Server, including preserving the ability for my family to continue to
use shared calendars (after Apple killed Sync Services in Lion) without being
forced to blow all the details of our lives out to “the cloud,” and the ability
to suck down system updates only once instead of once for every machine we own.
 So in my opinion, for the minor price of the package, if you’re going to run a
machine as “a server,” run Server.