On Oct 30, 2014, at 1:12 PM, Andy Ringsmuth <a...@andyring.com> wrote:

> One other benefit to the OS X Server option is the very nice software update
> caching feature. Once you get OS X Server running, you can enable the caching
> server. It's awesome. ANY software update from Apple, be it system updates,
> application updates, iOS updates, iOS app updates, etc., will be cached. Not
> right away, but here's how it works. The first time any device on your
> network downloads something cacheable, it will then be cached. Any other
> devices that need the same update will automatically pull from the caching
> server.

Are you sure?  I think that’s true only of “managed clients,” which seem to
require some extra software that looks complicated to set up   One can achieve
the same feature for “unmanaged clients,” but it’s not automatic — it requires
a defaults write command on each device to change the target of software update
lookups.  Supposedly, this queers your machine for standard software update
lookups if you try to run one from another location away from your home network
(without issuing the inverse defaults write), but I haven’t tested that.