On 18/7/02 at 15:43, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward Moy) wrote:

> On Thursday, July 18, 2002, at 08:39  AM, Phil Dobbin wrote:
>
> > Am running the final tests on 5.8.0 RC3. Have encountered problems
> > with dyld: Undefined symbols and with Jarkko's help I'm trying to
> > fix/track it down.
> >
> > If anybody else has any input on this, much appreciated :-)
>
> I just compiled perl@17623 on 10.1.5 (April 2002 Dev Tools) and
> Jaguar.
>   Both compiled fine (though on Jaguar I removed the
> -I/usr/local/include option from the cc flags to avoid unnecessary
> compiler warning; I had compiled perl@17551 on Jaguar without removing
> the option, and it worked fine even with the excess warning messages).
>
> Both only failed two test, the usual Berkeley DB tests.
>
> What are you seeing?

It compiled fine on 10.1.5 (only failing the same two db tests you saw) but it
complains of `undefined symbols' when trying to use it (e.g. `perl -MCPAN -e shell'
and compiling `perl Makefile.PL').

I get:

dyld: perl Undefined symbols:

 _Perl_sv_2pv
 _perl_get_sv

 Apparently, "make install in Mac OS X doesn't always overwrite the Perl Shared
library, which means that the old binarily incompatible version survives and
that...refers to the Obsolete symbols" [1]

Have tried `rm /Library/Perl/darwin/CORE/libperl.dylib' and re-issued make install but
to no avail.

Regards,

Phil.

[1] from email from Jarkko Hietaniemi on perl5 porters 17/07/02