On Sunday, July 21, 2002, at 05:18  PM, Geoffrey F. Green wrote:

> On 7/21/02 8:07 PM, "David Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> "This is known and it is sadly because Apples libc does not contain a
>> threadsafe localtime, the bug is entereted with apple but no reply
>> yet!"
>>
>> So what are the chances that this will be fixed by a future 10.1
>> update or
>> in Jaguar, Edward?
>
> I'm not Edward, and I probably know about 1/100th as much as he does
> on this
> topic, but in case he doesn't respond:
>
> <http://www.apple.com/macosx/jaguar/unix.html> states that much of
> FreeBSD
> 4.4 has been backported to Darwin, so perhaps that includes a
> threadsafe
> localtime?  In addition, the page notes that "Reentrant variants of
> standard
> functions in the C library, such as ‘strtok_r,’ help you port
> thread-safe
> versions of UNIX applications."  Can't say if that's meaningful to this
> discussion or not, but I thought I'd mention it because it sounds
> relevant.

I think you are giving me too much credit, as I wasn't even aware of
the thread-safe localtime bug (if you know the Radar number, I'd like
to look it up).  I'm not on the team that is in charge of Perl; I'm
just an interested Perl user at Apple.

If the thread-safe localtime bug is an important issue to you, I
recommend you add your comments to the above mentioned Radar.  The more
visible this issue becomes, the higher priority it well get.

Ed