Not that I have an answer...but I have a similar problem.  I can launch
MS Excel and have it open a OTF generated file from Win32.  But Mac OS X
does not do it....maybe I should read the docs, but...if I backtick an
`open /dir/to/msexcel` Excel opens, but the redirect, or `open
/dir/to/msexcel < $file`` does not work.  That is to say, MS Excel
(Classic) still opens from within Perl on Mac OS X, but I cannot get it
to open the file itself...which is a pain in the butt. I figured if I
got Mac OS X version MS Office things might get rectified, but I have
yet to get an upgrade.

I put my vote in for any ideas on a non-OS specific solution to opening
an application and having said application open a file to boot.  ;)

Cheers,
Ward