The docs - for open(1) in particular - might suggest something along the
lines of:

`open -a "Microsoft Excel" $foo`

(or whatever the Excel executable happens to be called on the target system)

But some versions of Excel (mine is ancient - YMMV with something newer
than v.4) might refuse to open files with an unfamiliar type.

-Charles
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]