Morbus> Right. My impression of the process is:

Morbus>  a) If you regain copyright, you regain author bios.
Morbus>  b) If you sell your rights, then it becomes the company's.

No, that's not my impression at all.  I don't retain copyright for
any of the 150+ articles I've written, nor any of the books I've
done for O'Reilly.  And yet my name is on all of them.

A "work-for-hire" means it's not yours anymore.  It's up to the contract
to decide whether you're a writer or a ghostwriter.