Randal> Now here's the kicker.  To install PerlMagick, you CANNOT INSTALL IT
Randal> FROM THE CPAN.  I don't even know why they bother putting it there.
Randal> It's just confusing.  You have to install the same version of
Randal> PerlMagick from the source of ImageMagick.

Oops.  Left out a couple of important steps:

1) "fink install imagemagick" (This will take a while)
2) "fink list imagemagick"
3) Note the version number (n.n.n-n) by the version you have installed.
4) "cd; mkdir Build; cd Build" (getting to a scratchdir)
5) "tar xvfz /sw/src/ImageMagick-n.n.n.tar.gz; cd Image*/PerlMagick/"
5.5) edit Makefile.PL so that
  LIBS begins with -L/sw/lib and INC begins with -I/sw/include
6) "perl Makefile.PL; make all install"
7) "cd; rm -rf Build"