On Sep 12, 2009, at 7:46 PM, Doug McNutt wrote:

At 23:22 +0100 9/12/09, Mine wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your excellent response, makes installing so easy assuming I did it correctly. I think everything that was required is installed, but I am not sure everything was installed
in the right location.

It appears that Perl 5.10.1 was installed and all the modules I installed are associated with Perl 5.10.1. When I try to run the get_iplayer PVR module I get the following error: Can't locate loadable object for module HTML::Parser in @INC (@INC contains: /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level
(I have abbreviated the error message)

And when I enter perl -v  I get the following:
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for darwin-2level

So the system does not see the Perl 5.10.1 install. Can someone please tell me if there is a was to install the modules so they relate to perl, v5.8.8, or point get_iplayer to use Perl 5.10.1.

I suspect that Apple's perl is 5.8.8 and it is installed in /usr/ bin. It needs to stay there because Apple's updates may depend on it. Installing 5.10.1 in /usr/bin/ replacing 5.8.8 is not recommended.

FWIW, OS X 10.4 had perl 5.8.6 (10.5 had 5.8.8, and 10.6 has 5.8.9 and 5.10.0). The above 5.8.8 is in /opt, and has the architecture- specific subdirectory darwin-2level, so that is definitely *not* the standard Apple one from any release.

Running:

% which perl

will tell which perl is the default. I'm guessing the perl script uses something like:

#! /usr/bin/env perl

and so it is finding your default perl. Changing this line to point to your 5.10.1 perl, or changing your PATH environment variable so that the first directory is where your 5.10.1 perl is, should fix this problem.

Edward Moy
Apple Inc.