No, Ultimately unless you know for sure the module is installed by
testing to see if it exists I would assume it needs to be installed.

Apple's developer tools will need to be installed (or mac ports) if
you want to compile and build tools, or in this case perl modules.
This is just standard operating procedure if you want to develop in
general on the Mac.

See Packy Anderson's post on how to install with CPAN,

I would advise new people who have not installed/compiled perl on Mac
OS X using either the default system perl or their own version to look
at the article below, it will help avoid some common pitfalls:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/releasenotes/OpenSource/PerlExtensionsRelNotes/index.html

2cents

- Brian

PS: sorry didn't cc the list here it is again.