On Jan 23, 2009, at 4:15 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
For the list archives, this was fixed (in 10.4, IIRC).

Personally, I'd like to see direct mode deprecated, and when 10.3 support is
officially dropped, it can be removed entirely.  Other than the old
performance issues with the large number of hardlinks, I don't see any
advantage to using direct over image mode. Are there other reasons for
keeping it?

Probably not. Although I still maintain that image mode doesn't really give us anything more than what direct mode + archives gives us (except that there's currently no way to tell port to use a specific, older, archive). Direct mode is somewhat simpler, but if no one doing active development is using it anymore, it's probably not worth keeping around. Some easier way of transitioning than uninstalling all ports, making the switch in the conf, and reinstalling everything, would be nice, though.

10.3 isn't officially supported by us anymore (although we try not to break it - Ryan's protestations about 10.5 notwithstanding).

[and no, I'm not just trying to troll jkh and his idea of having things build against and depend on non-active images]

--
Daniel J. Luke