On 24 Jan 2009, at 03:46, Rainer Müller wrote:

Bryan Blackburn wrote:
Personally, I'd like to see direct mode deprecated, and when 10.3 support is
officially dropped, it can be removed entirely.  Other than the old
performance issues with the large number of hardlinks, I don't see any advantage to using direct over image mode. Are there other reasons for
keeping it?

The switch to registry2.0 which is scheduled for 1.8.0 would be a good
place to drop direct mode as it is mainly implemented in the
registry/receipt handling. But that means there would be no deprecation
period.

But as we tend to discuss development stuff on the macports-users list, there is the opportunity to ask our users: How many of you do still use
direct mode and for what reasons?

Rainer

If you mean the end users ... I had to go and actually search in the documentation to find out what "direct mode" is.
http://guide.macports.org/#internals.images
which is the only "hit" for "direct mode".

Which I think answers your question ...

Mark