On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 09:34:09AM -0500, Daniel J. Luke said:
> On Jan 23, 2009, at 8:35 AM, robert delius royar wrote:
>>> Direct mode is certainly less well tested than image mode. I've never
>>> used it. Is there a particular reason why you are using it?
>>
>> I began using Darwinports very soon after DP was created.  When Image
>> mode was added, a few of us (perhaps under Panther but could have been
>> Tiger) noticed significant (and documentable) slow downs on access to
>> files in /opt/local/bin.  After a conversation on the old DP mailing
>> list, we found that hard links were problematic for the OS (at least in
>> that version) when they exceded some level.
>
> For the list archives, this was fixed (in 10.4, IIRC).

Personally, I'd like to see direct mode deprecated, and when 10.3 support is
officially dropped, it can be removed entirely.  Other than the old
performance issues with the large number of hardlinks, I don't see any
advantage to using direct over image mode.  Are there other reasons for
keeping it?

Bryan