Yep Scott, glad you mentioned Win10 privacy, I forgot about that, and yes
that’s why I’m not using it.  It’s not to say that it’s a bad OS, though,
because it isn’t, but there’s still Win8.1 and Classic Shell or, if you want to
go retro, Win7.  Both run on that Mac Mini 2014 and Win8.1 and CS is what I’d
go with.  You can apply the GPO to keep it from babbling away to M$ or forcing
you into Win10.

I don’t like the direction MS are taking with their charge and slurp and
subscriptions approach.  I believe that’s just wrong.  The direction Apple are
taking with macOS isn’t much to my liking either, but at least it’s rational,
if not entirely tenable because of ultimate cannibalisation from large-screen
iOS devices and iOS itself.  However despite Windows’ general lack of, well
anything at all really, it still represents a decent desktop OS choice now
that’s a known quantity for people who need more flexibility or lower prices,
and does at least have the virtue of having a very long lifecycle for the
releases on existing hardware.  All the exciting developments in other
operating systems for accessibility are first-party, but apart from ChromeOS I
can’t see any development on desktop at all.  I keep meaning to try Orca again
in the hope that it sucks less now, but I’m still of the opinion that Linux is
too far away from many people and especially those without console skills and
probably braille as well.  macOS has sadly fallen into the state of being a
superb illustration of what is theoretically possible with mainstream
accessibility, but also what can go horribly wrong when the company developing
it loses interest in the platform.  Not to say it’s a bad option, because it
does still have very many virtues and I still cherish it, but I also wouldn’t
be surprised if I went on a really bad acid trip one evening and woke up to
discover that all my desktops were running Windows either. :)

list.