The problem with Time Machine is, it's not an exact image of your drive.  It's
great for basic things, and for backing up your apps, files, and settings, but
if you want to really get technical, it's not, at the end of the day, a true OS
backup regardless what anyone says.  For instance, show me how to boot from a
time machine backup.  You can't.  Point I hope taken.  At least, if you *can!*
literally boot from a  drive soly created by TM, then I'm totally unaware of
how to do so.

This is exactly why I use Super Duper.  Though they'd encourage you to buy and
register it, you don't actually have to.  It never will expire on you, but
there are just some features that won't be enabled.  Those features by no means
are door stoppers though.  For instance.  I'm a pro musician as a lot of you
know.

So, when a new major OS like this comes out, it's always the million dollar
question, will ProTools work with this OS with no problems?  At first, usually,
the answer is no.  But, I always try anyway.  This being said, I don't use Time
Machine for those situations.  I'll instead fire up Super Dooper, take an exact
bootable, mind you, snapshot image of my drive's current state, then, I'll
update, and if something goes disastrous, it's no big deal.  I just roll back
from that image I made, and within an hour or two, I'm downgraded and right
back in perfect working order as if I'd never updated to start with.

So yeah, call me weird.  I like the idea of what Apple did with Time Machine,
but I just don't think it's fair to tell people it's a full backup sollution.
It's not.  It sort of is, but it sort of isn't, if you catch my jidst.  If all
you want is to back up your files, settings, and apps, then OK, whatever, go
for it, but if you're really wanting to be the most optimally safe as possible,
then look  into a full backup sollution like Super Duper, or Carbon Copy
Cloner, etc.  Trust me, in the long run, it just may save you a day or more of
hard hard work.
---
Christopher Gilland
JAWS Certified, 2016.