That sounds like a problem with disk io, not a lack of ram.
Problem is, if there is one fairly technical computer word that
consumers are aware of, its ram, so shops / people who don't really
know what they're talking about suggest a ram upgrade for everything.
I would be willing to put money on the problem going away or not
happening as much if you went from a 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM or an
SSD, assuming we're talking about a laptop.