Hi Bill, James and others,

Super duper is equal in its functionality as far as backing up and bootable
backups go. CCC is free. Super duper costs 30 dollars or so. Super duper has an
extra bit of functionality though, that I really love, now that I messed up my
system installing the wrong drivers and so on in the past. Super duper allows
you to create a sand box. A sand box is an entire copy of your mac os 10 system
installation residing on another partition of your hard drive, that you can use
to play around with software updates, system drivers you install such as mac
fuse and others, and you can mess with applications, before you go ahead and
actually install them for real into your main macintosh hd. If you want to test
a new hardware device driver, and you are not sure of the outcome, whether or
not it is going to disturb you or something in your system, you can install the
new driver inside the sandbox. if you find out that everything works just fine
inside your second os, the sandbox, then you can safely install the new drivers
into your real system. What super duper does, is that it requires you to
repartition your drive into 2 pieces. One for your normal system, and a 20 gb
partition for the sandbox.
But then, Once that is done, you have the great advantage of testing new
drivers and software inside your sandbox, before taking the plunge to install
them into the daily operating system. If, on the other hand, you find that the
driver is not working for you, is too intrucive or what ever reason you may
have to discard it, then all you need to do is copy your clean macintosh hd
system files over to the sandbox, replacing the mess you created there. Now,
you also got rid of the faulty driver in the sandbox.
No matter if you boot from your macintosh hd or from the sandbox partition, you
always have your documents etc at hand. This is because if you boot from
macintosh hd, then the documents are accessible as usual. But from the sandbox,
they are reference using symbolic links, so that, even though the sandbox is
just a copy of the real os, you can access all your private stuff from there
too. That is wonderful in super duper. You should very carefully read the
manual though, before you begin sandboxing, so that you are aware of what's
happening. For example, you should never copy the sandbox back to macintosh hd.
That makes you loose all your private stuff.

CCC can backup and make the backup bootable, so if you don't need the sand box
functionality, then ccc is perfect too.