From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Paul Erkens
Sent: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 9:04 AM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Questionabout Super Doopper and external drives

Hi Bill, James and others,

Super duper is equal in its functionality as far as backing up and bootable
backups go. CCC is free. Super duper costs 30 dollars or so. Super duper has
an extra bit of functionality though, that I really love, now that I messed
up my system installing the wrong drivers and so on in the past. Super duper
allows you to create a sand box. A sand box is an entire copy of your mac os
10 system installation residing on another partition of your hard drive,
that you can use to play around with software updates, system drivers you
install such as mac fuse and others, and you can mess with applications,
before you go ahead and actually install them for real into your main
macintosh hd. If you want to test a new hardware device driver, and you are
not sure of the outcome, whether or not it is going to disturb you or
something in your system, you can install the new driver inside the sandbox.
if you find out that everything works just fine inside your second os, the
sandbox, then you can safely install the new drivers into your real system.
What super duper does, is that it requires you to repartition your drive
into 2 pieces. One for your normal system, and a 20 gb partition for the
sandbox.
But then, Once that is done, you have the great advantage of testing new
drivers and software inside your sandbox, before taking the plunge to
install them into the daily operating system. If, on the other hand, you
find that the driver is not working for you, is too intrucive or what ever
reason you may have to discard it, then all you need to do is copy your
clean macintosh hd system files over to the sandbox, replacing the mess you
created there. Now, you also got rid of the faulty driver in the sandbox.
No matter if you boot from your macintosh hd or from the sandbox partition,
you always have your documents etc at hand. This is because if you boot from
macintosh hd, then the documents are accessible as usual. But from the
sandbox, they are reference using symbolic links, so that, even though the
sandbox is just a copy of the real os, you can access all your private stuff
from there too. That is wonderful in super duper. You should very carefully
read the manual though, before you begin sandboxing, so that you are aware
of what's happening. For example, you should never copy the sandbox back to
macintosh hd. That makes you loose all your private stuff.

CCC can backup and make the backup bootable, so if you don't need the sand
box functionality, then ccc is perfect too.

On Sep 13, 2011, at 6:31 PM, Bill Holton wrote:

> Hi.
> I have a 2 tarabyte drive on its way, and I have a few questions about Mac
> backups.
> First, as I seem to recall, with Superdooper you can create a backup in a
> format you can actually boot from, if the system becomes trashed?  Is this
> correct?  Is SuperDooper the only package that allows this,or does time
> Machine, also?
> Second question:  How would I configure the drive so I can use it to back
up
> my Mac, but also swap it out to my PC to back it up?  Guessing I'll need
> create two partitions?  If so, how do I create the correct two using
Tiger?