Garth,

I would have to argue about shortcut keys as far as Word is concerned-in fact
the entire Office Suite. I have to use such in  a VM at work and since we
switched to Office 2007, most shortcut keys appear to no longer be available.
In addition, I think you will find there are a good number of shortcut keys in
apps such as Word as well. I do not have a list in front of me, but things such
as command-i to toggle italics, command-u underline, and so forth. True there
is no context key as there is in Windows, but it's such a trivial thing for me
to hit VO-shift-m, I just don't think about it.
I also believe it depends on your comfort level, which goes back to the entire
point of the thread. THe one thing I believe we will agree on is the fact that
we can disagree. :)