I'm not sure what they're supposed to do.

If they give you the information, they're giving you information that's not
yours, which is clearly a violation of privacy.

If you have access to the email address, and you use that to get access to
data that's not yours, then you're the one doing the privacy violation.

What they should have is a way to say "this isn't my account".  I've seen
that commonly on first attempts (ie, Google's sign up will send a
validation message to your alternate/secondary email address, and that has
a "this wasn't me" link in it), but it's not common after the fact.

With some mail, I've seen that you can edit the delivery preferences
without any other kind of login, I've done that sometimes to stop getting
the messages, even if that hasn't actually "fixed" the underlying problem.

It's obviously a problem with address re-use as well.  I'm not sure if
these specific hosts have ever implemented Yahoo's RRVS extension, if so
you might be able to get them to stop that way.

Brandon